Broken Kode Discussion Forums

A place to talk about the Rin and Manji themes

You are not logged in.

#1 09-09-2005 07:30:35

flipthedolphin

CSS Compress and Rin

Hi
It seems that there is an issue while trying to use the CSS-Compress plugin (http://dev.wp-plugins.org/wiki/css-compress) with Rin. Anyone tried it or has any solution?

I see that there are issues with the images but it's pretty easy to solve this one: just replace

Code:

url(images/xxx.gif);

with the full address of your site.

Code:

url(http://www.yourdomain.com/wordpressdir/wp-content/themes/rin/images/xxx.gif);

But what about the comment hacks then?
Do they still work?
What it is supposed to happen? Broken layout?

#2 09-09-2005 18:28:12

MacManX
Website

Re: CSS Compress and Rin

What issue do you experience while trying to use the CSS-Compress plugin with Rin?  I would suggest that you give it a try, if you haven't already.  Just keep a backup of your style.css file.  And, if you notice any problems, deactivate the plugin and restore your style.css file from the backup.  I'm not into the whole CSS compression scene.  I shorten color values to three character short-hand when possible and always remove all blank and commented lines, but that's about it.

Disclaimer: I am a forum volunteer.  I only represent Rin as a user and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime.  The opinions stated in my postings are not necessarily those of Khaled Abou Alfa or his affiliates.

MacManX.com

#3 10-09-2005 01:23:31

flipthedolphin

I tried it and it seems that everything is working fine...
but I really don't know what happens with those "comment hacks"... because they are stripped out.

Anyway to me it seems that everything is ok.
Hope it is so even for my visitors.

#4 10-09-2005 01:34:24

MacManX
Website

What browsers display the comment quicktags "stripped out"?  If you can, run of your single posts (the comment quicktags "stripped out") through the Markup Validator and the CSS Validator.  One of those (probably the CSS Validator) may point to whatever is going wrong to cause this.

Disclaimer: I am a forum volunteer.  I only represent Rin as a user and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime.  The opinions stated in my postings are not necessarily those of Khaled Abou Alfa or his affiliates.

MacManX.com

#5 10-09-2005 02:48:37

flipthedolphin

Don't think you got it... I write like a dumb smile
lemme try again:
the css compress plugin tries to delete the comments, tabulations, spaces and all that stuff from the CSS file. The it gzip it ad send it over the net (saving huge bandwidth). What we have in the end is a CSS file without comments... but some hacks require comments to be present to work...
go see the BoxModelHack for some examples.

Now I wonder if with this plugin we are not stripping out those hacks from the CSS files. Because I think that if they are there for some reasons... they should stay there!

Could we split the css file then and import the hack part in a separated part of the header? So the plugin does not try to compess it.

#6 10-09-2005 15:03:36

MacManX
Website

Ok, I see what you're saying.  In the end, it may be better just to not use the plugin.  Have you seen the difference in monthly bandwidth usage with this plugin?  In the end, it will be no more than a few k (or a few mb if you're very popular).  In this day and age, with multiple gb bandwidth packages, CSS compression is trivial at best.

MacManX.com

#7 12-09-2005 07:05:23

flipthedolphin

not when you've got an home server with a 256 Kb/s upload bandwidth smile
anyway I'll try to figure this whole stuff out

Thanks matey wink

Board footer